Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I'm on day number two of summer hours (4 nine hour days, 1/2 day of Friday) here at work and I'm already sick of it. It would be day three, but I took Monday off to clean, rearrange furniture, and make sure the wireless would allow me to Fark in every room in the apartment, including the bathroom. It does, but typing takes a particular skill that I do not posess. Yet.

All that has nothing to do with anything, really, other than I'm supposed to keep this schedule until September, and between now and then I could very well lose my mind.

I've been brewing since last August, and I finally hit that wall where I take a step back, take a break and wonder what the fuck I'm doing. The same thing happened with poker and writing, I guess--I realize that I'll never be the best, that their are people doing the same thing as me, better, with skills that I'll never posess. It's not that I've made shitty beer, or was a mongoloid poker player(HEY!), or a complete hack as a writer(fine, I'll let you have that one), but it still makes me pause a bit and question if I should take up other things, like collecting ceramic clowns, or even, god forbid, fishing. Let me explain.

There can be a lot of chemistry involved in brewing--water chemistry, chemical reactions and such--and I know absolutely nothing about chemistry. That frustrates me. The last class I took on the subject was in 10th grade, and it was for slow people. Not that I was necessarily slow at the time(my how things have changed), but I was definitely a lazy teenager, not to mention awkward. And I had a non ironic mullet. It's not that anyone needs a huge chemistry background to begin home brewing, but I like to know everything I can on something I'm interested in, and I'll never know chemistry. It's impossible.

With poker, it was all that pesky math. In writing, it was, and is, stringing together a coherent thought of words and phrases(also known as "writing", I guess).

I get to a point in all that where I've learned either all that I can, or to better explain, all I care to learn, and then I lose interest. There's always that roadblock that I just can't seem to get around. Perhaps I'm dumn, who knows.

Anyhow, I've got two new kegs sitting in the kegerator as of last night. I pulled one tap, only to be greeted with a glass full of hops. It smelled sexy, but I sure wasn't going to drink it. I poured it in the sink as a small tear slowly made it's way down my cheek, and I remembered that I hadn't fucked the beer up beyond hope, but I had left 2oz of pellet hops in the keg for dry-hopping. Whoops.

Wow, I am so rusty with this whole poker blogging thing. Perhaps I'll have to turn this into my catch all blog, rather than poker exclusive in order to add content. I've probably spent far too long copy/pasting to places like LiveJournal and Myspace (guh) because people on those sites haven't caught up with the whole RSS feed reader craze that's sweeping the webs.

4 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

all hail rss! moment of silence for your fallen beer. *shhh*

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Wait, didn't you already post this month?

Fuck!?!

I'm confused.

And not like that period in high school where I wore silk shirts.

Don't worry, you appear to brew like you play poker. Which is to say, poorly. It's cool. We can't all be like Donkeypuncher, greasing our hair with 7 different products, brewing 9 different beers, and luckboxing his way to tourney wins, all at the same time while wearing a t-shirt that's too tight and has a witty slogan on it.

(Burn!)

You'll find your groove. I'd look somewhere between chasing purse thieves and hate fucking.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger PokerGuy said...

Keep up the great work nothing is easy right?

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wish to sample the beer before I attempt to get the car for Chicago and have my tongue ripped out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home