Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Erm, since I've got a bunch of work "processing" in the background, I might as well take some time mash my keypad and see what vomits on the screen.

First things, first; my take on blogs.

1.Think of something to write.
2. Write it.
3. Actually talk to people should they happen to reply.

That's about all there is to it. Of course, I'm good at exactly none of those things, but at least I try.

No, you really don't.

***********

Joe has a little guessing game as to what kind of car he just splurged on, and I'm pretty sure my answer of "VW Golf" is pretty damn close. I was fortunate enough to not puke ride in his car from LA to Vegas last month, so I already know what kind of vehicular style the man has. He thought my choice screamed "HOMO!", but I contest that it's not that far off for The Man With Five Face Products.

Strike that, I'm changing my answer to "Cabriolet".

***********

I cleared my Titan Bonus early on Saturday, and let me tell you, I'm always surprised by the new-fangled plays these kids are attempting nowadays. My favorite is the highly skilled, super subtle "Limp preflop with aces, check call to the river, regardless of board texture" play.

My second favorite?

The "Overbet the pot by a bajillion dollars on the turn or river". Goddamn, that's some clever play. And I'll admit that I didn't think long enough on one hand, and it cost me.

Hand #1.

I'm in the big blind and had just tripled to $150, after buying in for $50. It's a .50c/$1 6 max game on Titan. Yeah, yeah, I know; always buy in for the max. Get off my nuts already.

Anyhow, The only other person with an equal stack is the player directly to my left, who has me covered by about $40. He hasn't been at the table for more than 20 hands, but he's doubled up in that short time, but I didn't look back before this hand to see how. I'm dealt J-6o. He limps, everybody else folds and I check my option.

Flop: 5-6-J rainbow

Hasta la pasta, I've got two pair! In this situation I like to lead out with a pot sized bet, and that's exactly what I did. The opponent min-raised it, and without much information to go on, I called.

Turn:2

This isn't scary to me at all, so I bet out about 3/4 of the pot, which was about $9, and he immediately came over the top for the rest of his stack.

Excuse me? What could he possibly have here that has me beat? A set? Sure, a set of 5's or 6's is likely, but a set of jacks? I'm pretty sure he would've raised preflop, right? Who plays a set like that?

Without that much information to go on, I laid it down, but I'm stil curious what hand warrants that kind of massive overbet. It's just plain confusing. After looking back to find out how he'd doubled up in the first place, it turns out that in the hand he doubled up on, he played it much like this, only with aces. Had I known that beforehand, I might've given more thought to calling there.

Hand #2

Sometime after I made the spectacular laydown above, I got into it with a complete and utter tardfuck. I only say that because I lost the hand.

Once again I'm in the BB with $220 behind, when I'm dealt AJo. A player in late position--with a starting stack of $100--min-raises, everybody else folds and I call. I hate calling a raise out of position, but the minraise is such an insult to the digital dollar chip I put out there, that it would've called me a pretty little daisy for not defending it's honor. Or something. AJ has never been gold for me, though.

Flop: A-J-2 rainbow

BLIZZOW!

Once again, I bet out the small size of the pot, and he flat calls. Hrm, on a draw, perhaps.

Turn:Ks

That card could complete a possible straight, and brings 2 spades on the board. I check, planning to check raise a bet because I didn't put him on the powerful--not to mention well played--Q10 with a opening minraise.

Sure enough, he bets out $1--one fricking dollar--and I immediately raise it to $7. He throws a wrench in my cockily smirking spokes by raising that to $14. Gwah?

I call, mainly because I didn't have a clue where I was. And if I was far behind, at least I had some outs, right? Right.

I check the non spade 7 on the river, and he immediately pushes his last $70 or so in the pot. Ok, if you were me(and you know you want to be), what would you do? What range of hands do you think justifies that kind of push?
***********

I'm an instant gratification sort of guy, so I'm just going to tell you that he had JJ for a set, and took down a $200 pot. I keep thinking about this hand, playing it back in my head, and trying to figure out if I ever could've put him on that hand. Sure, I could've gotten away from it, but the massive overbet on the river just screamed "I MISSED!". The more I think about it, the more everything pointed to a set, only moreso the set of 2's than the jacks. I'm not really sure why I didn't consider AK longer, though, either.

3 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Hmmmm...

I don't play enough cash games... but I hate "going broke" on hands in which I don't raise preflop. When I raise preflop, I at least do something gain some information about my opponent's range of hands.

I'm not sure what I would have done differently with your AJ hand. I might have put him on a big Ace, but you're two pair was gold then. I would not have put him on JJ.

When he smooth called your flop bet, it would give me the impression of one of two things: a draw or a monster. I don't believe there was a reasonable draw on a AJ2 rainbow. However, pocket deuces would have been a possibility the way it was played.

Would I have laid it down? Not sure.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"The weak lead"

Maybe he saw you as a very aggressive player and thought that $1 bet would insult your manhood enough to pay him off with AQ, AJ, KJ.

Or he was huffing paint thinner.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger StB said...

The dollar turn bet is pure idiocy. He can still bet out more and get raised.

I wonder if he had any clue that he disguised his hand very well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home