Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I decided to start off my already long holiday weekend by calling in sick on Thursday and trekking down to Canterbury Park for a little live poker action. If there's one thing I learned while in Vegas a few weeks ago, it's that sitting in front of my computer in my poker bubble, grinding out small wins day-to-day just isn't that much fun. It's a good method for avoiding the dystentery, but I'm not ready to go all Howard Hughes and avoid everything, not yet anyhow.

I was immediately pointed to an open seat on a $4/$8 game in the middle of the room, stopped by the cage to buy two racks of blues from the cute asian girl behind the counter and promptly sat my ass down in the hard number 7 seat.

5 hours, numerous kicks to my groin, and that whole buy-in later, I'm dealt my best hand of the day; two black kings. I'm the first to act. I look around at the old and disheveled, say "raise" and everyone folds like a house of cards in a hurricane. I picked up my huge $6 win for that hand, tossed the dealer a chip, laughed while wishing the rest of the table good luck, and walked out of the cardroom with a smile on my face. Just one of those days.

On my way out, though, I tried to exact revenge on the cardroom by 'stealing' three free poker magazines. That whole revenge and spite thing only works if the other person involved cares, or I don't know, isn't getting the issues for free. So, in reality I paid over $200 for $17 worth of free poker magazines. Take that, Canterbury! I got you good, you fucker!

While playing live is much more fun, not to mention rewarding(you just mentioned it, 'tard.), I really would appreciate it if other players wouldn't eat a tub of buttery popcorn to the table. He did ask if we wanted any, so he does get a B+ for generosity, but come on. Popcorn? While tickling poker chips? Get off my table, sir.

After returning from Vegas, I deposited a little money in both Doyle's Room and Stars. The money on Stars--not more than $150--is almost gone after a drunken 3/6 6max session this last weekend with Joe Speaker(and Spaceman as a railbird). Never again, sirs. Never again.

The money on Doyle's was shifted over to Full Tilt last night because I just can't take it anymore. Doyle's has a glitch so annoying, and it makes me wonder if I'm the only player to complain about it. I can't be, but it hasn't been fixed in the 10 months of continuous emails to support, so I feel like I am. I'm so rone-ree.

The software has an annoying attribute that causes a table to override everything else you're doing when it's your turn. You know how Party has that little gold pop-up in the lower right hand corner when it's your turn on another table? Instead of something useful like that, Doyle's forces you to act on a table, even when you're trying to type in a bet on another table. It's annoying, and makes it almost impossible to multi-table full ring games. Forget chatting, and don't even think about writing while playing. Live blogging is a definite no-no.

But I don't play full ring games. I play 6 max, almost exclusively. And Doyle's in-your-face, act now or die! attitude means I can't get through a whole session without wanting to toss me laptop at the wall.

Add to that the lack of pokertracker support(Pat said he's working on it right now), and Full Tilt gets my business until things change for the better. I fear that adding PT support to the site will squeeze out all the soft tables and bad players, though.

5 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did he at least lick his fingers before taking his cards?

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Joe Speaker said...

Again, I'm sorry. In multiple ways, literal, figurative and literative.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Sometimes I like to bring an order of wings or ribs to my table while I play.

It's the classy thing to do.

Congrats on your huge win with Kings last night. I took down a monster with my best hand of the last decade last night, hiltons. I think it was the blinds on a .10-.20 NL game.

POWER POKER!!!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Thanks for railbirding last night, I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Well, that's not entirely true, but it certainly makes it considerably more enjoyable!

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice reading your blog in 05, good luck in the New Year

Badugi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home