Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Yesterday was a depressing tournament day. I started out playing in the inaugural Saturdays with Pauly event, busted out super early on a river suckout. From there I proceeded to bust out of both the 8K guaranteed and the PLO tourney on Full Tilt, the last with a field comprised of 10% bloggers. Can we say "bad idea"?

I couldn't at the time, and it wouldn't have surprised me if the final table ended up being a bloggers who's who. There is bad play at every site on the internerd, but it's been pointed out by more than a few people out there that you will see some of the most fucked up tournament play on Full Tilt, no contest.

That's it, no more tournaments for me for the day. I'd had enough. I wasted $50 and I never came close to sniffing the people that came close to cashing. Pathetic. It's far worse to be card dead and misplay the few playable hands dealt to me than it is to get sucked out on repeatedly. In the former, the only person beating me is me.

The rest of the day was spent making back the lost buy-ins on the Full Tilt 6 max tables. I ended the day ahead, though now that I look back at my hourly rate, the time spent versus the compensation is laughable. I'm used to Doyle's 6-max, which are maniacal. If you can stand the swings, you will make money, and quickly. The Full Tilt tables are much, much tighter, and much more passive, requiring the patience to grind out a marginal win. Unless your best friends are a helmet and a drool cup, you will make money on Full Tilt.

My main beef with ABC poker, though, is that it's monotonous. As long as you have the discipline to fold where you don't think you have an edge, it's hard to come out behind. I don't always play to fold, though.

Bring in pot limit omaha, the closest thing to gambling crack that I'll ever play. I'm addicted. And an idiot.

Last night, a little buzzed, partially tired, and wholly dumbified, I watched a replay of the 2004 WSOP PLO event, and I thought "Hey, I wonder if what PLO tourneys are on the slate for tomorrow?" So, I looked. And I found a $10+$1 on Full Tilt at 10:30 this morning.

I set my alarm for 10am, and that's not something I should ever do on a weekend. Like I said, crack.

Was it worth getting out of bed early to play 4 hands total? Probably not. Was I happy that I played the pot/call game when I had the nuts(AAA) on the turn, in addition to the nut flush draw, only to be called all the way by king high, my opponent catching his 3 outer on the river? Of course not.

I did, however, feel all warm and fuzzy after checking back a few hands later to see that the ulti-calling station wasted my chips in an efficient fashion, busting out in 30th place. Out of 41. God that felt good. Two hours later, it still does.

Who lit the fire under the Vikings ass this week? Wow. Their biggest weakness isn't the poor defense, the complete and utter lack of a running game, or the Atlantian "hired help" not coming through for them. The biggest weakness is(was) Daunte's Happy Feet.

Everybody likes a BJ, especially one with a Super Bowl ring.

Anyhow, yesterday I impulsively purchased The Psychology of Poker by Alan Shoonmaker, Ph.D. A few pages into it, I can already tell it's going to help me out in one of my weakest areas; mindset. Strategy? Anybody can read a book and play a certain way. Calculating odds? Chad Can Do.

But ask me to keep my head in the game, and I'll look at you like you're trying to explain the female reproductive system or how Scott Bakula became a movie star. I just don't get it.

Babies come from where? Gross.

To end this post, here's some stats from my Full Tilt sessions today.

VP$IP:28%
PFR: 15%
Blinds collected(no calls): 914

Wow, thems some tight tables. Hooboy.

Skol Vikings?






2 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Skol Vikings indeed.

At least till we play the Lions again.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Scott Bakula.

One of the finest american actors of our generation. Right up there with the fat kid from Head of the Class, the neighbor boy that was Rudy's age on The Cosby Show, and the not-Tom-Hanks guy from that cross-dressing sitcom.

Classics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home