Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

WWPBD- What Would Poker Bloggers Do?

Same 3/6 table as my last post, I'm in 3s, but not involved in the hand. I am sitting 2 off the button.

It's folded to the guy directly to my right, who raises. It's folded around to the blinds, who both call. Three players see the flop.

Flop:x-8-A rainbow.

Both blinds check, the 2s bets, is called by both of the blinds.

Turn-8

The sb immediately fires out the $6 dollar bet, and the bb folds. At this point, the dealer mistakenly thinks that the hand is over, and that everybody folded to the old guy in the sb. She starts to collect the cards, and before they can get all mixed together, the 2s speaks up that he still has cards. She hasn't touched the board yet.

She calls the floor over, and it's ruled that the muck and burn cards are seperate(touching a little bit, but discernible), and that she can continue the hand. At the time, it looked to me that the ruling was fair enough. As the dealer picks up the rest of the deck, and replaces the cut card underneath, the cut slides off the bottom card a little and I see that it's the jack of clubs. I also notice that the rest of the deck waiting to be dealt looked a little on the small side.

14 (mucked cards)+2 (burn cards)=16 cards in one pile

That means that there should've been 32 cards in the deck waiting to be dealt. Yeah, she definitely picked up the smaller of the two piles and started dealing from the muck, though I didn't realize it at the time. The rest of the hand went smoothly.

River: J

Small blind bets out, the 2s calls and they both flip over their hands.

Sb--AJo(two pair-aces and jacks)
2s--KK(two pair-kings and eights)

The Bb, who folded on the turn, asked the dealer to flip over the top two cards in the deck she ended up dealing from( they were two low cards) and said that he folded pocket jacks. He was pissed because he thought that he would've made the winning full house on the river.

In theory, the hand played out as most likely should've, minus the river card, which may not have helped the 2s's hand. The big blind wouldn't have stayed in the hand until the river with pocket jacks on an ace high board(which is why he folded in the first damn place) And there's no saying if the case jack was in the muck to begin with, or that jack on the river was actually his, or even if the jack of clubs was his other hole card. He didn't say. But I believe him when he said that he had pocket jacks.

But if you had all the information that I had, in the position I was out of the hand, would you have said something about it? What about if you were the 2s?

4 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger DuggleBogey said...

If I were the 2s, I would have demanded they kill the hand, even before all the shenanigans happened. Once the deck got mixed with the muck, the hand was dead.

This would have been easily accomplished by demanding they go to the tape to see if the dealer held the correct stack or not. The floor would have been far too lazy to do this, and would have compromised by killing the hand.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Heather said...

If you didn't notice until it was too late to do anything, I wouldn't have said anything, as there's really no point other than to cause trouble.

If the deck looked a little small when she was dealing, I would have said something then - but the floor should have stayed until she picked up the deck, making sure she dealt from the stub not the muck.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Irritable Male Syndrome said...

Princess-

I'm pretty sure the guy that claimed to have jacks noticed something amiss, too. Neither of us spoke up, and when he did, there was really nothing that could be done about it.

Whatchya gonna do?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

As a general rule of thumb, unless I am involved in a hand, I keep my mouth shut. Even at 3/6, people tend to get quite pissed off when others try to be helpful - I can't even tell you how many times I've heard angry bouts of, "Shut up, you weren't even in the hand!" If the floor asks my opinion, I'll speak, but otherwise I just stay out of the way. This may not be the moral high road, but after being in the situation countless times, I've found it to be the most peaceful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home