Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Monday, October 31, 2005

I'm away for one day and my blogroll goes abso-fucking-lutely catatonic. I need to get some of these entries that are stuck in my head, out. Now. So, I'm foregoing the reading of your blogs, so I can update mine.

Nyah.

I think I shall start on Friday. It's the only logical place to start.

WWdN Invitational


This recap is going to be shoddy at best. It's three days later, and I don't have the time, nor the unlaziness to go back and look at hand histories, so you get what I remember, which comes down to only a few random hands.

To start the tourney, I was seated a few seats to the left of the man, the host; Wil Wheaton. We were the TV table. I never made a conscious decision to change my play based on his, but now looking back, I might have. Who knows.

Hand the one: I'm dealt JKh on the button. Wil raises it 3 or 4x the BB in MP and I call, along with a few others. The flop is J-x-A. He leads out with a smallish sized bet(damn it would be nice to look back at the hand history right about now, wouldn't it?), a player sandwiched inbetween Wil and I folds. I thought for about 3 seconds and I decided to pop him back with a pot sized raise.

I was pretty sure I was behind, but I was trying to represent something other than middle pair, and I figured that Wil would make a contiuation bet regardless of what fell. I also thought he'd lay his hand down if he didn't have an ace. He took almost his whole time bank to make a decision, even going so far as saying "AJ?" in the chat box.

Wil Wheaton was talking, somewhat, to me. Well, to my donkey x-ing avatar, but I'd like to think that we're one in the same.

Gush.

And then he called and I knew I was behind. AK? AQ? I don't know. Heads-up, we checked through the turn rag and the river king and my two pair beat his A9o. I know, I know, I'm a pussy for not betting my two pair after his river check. I'm pretty sure that he would've bet out had he held AK and hit his two pair. I'm a pussy, stop telling me that.

Hand the two: A few hands my JJ hits another on the flop, and I knock out a guy holding AQ that had top pair. Can we say "chipleada"?

I can't. I can't even spell it, but I was in first place very early in the tourney.

Hand the three: Crossing of the Donkey.

I was getting shortstacked, and Wil was just starting to get into double up mode. He needed chips, and fast.

Once again, he open raises and I jam with AKo, and my hand holds up to his smaller ace. WGHN. I'm sure he was already home, but whatever. It's just a figure of speech.

I knocked out Wil Wheaton. For one week, I am famous by association. Woohoo! I didn't feel so much "famous"when I was knocked out on the absolute bubble(top 18 paid, I was 19th) by Daddy, more than I did "violated". There's something about being a donkey fucker's bitch that's just not right. Or admirable, either.

Full Tilt Tourneys:

I've played in three MTT's in the past weekend on Full Tilt, two NLHE tourneys and one PLO, and I will openly admit that I like them a lot better than Stars tourneys.

Field size: Stars-1000+------------------Full Tilt-<500
Level times:Stars-15 min----------------Full Tilt- 10 min
Player skill:Stars-Horrid---------Full Tilt-equally horrid, if not worse

It looks like the Full Tilt structure is a little fast, but when you take into account the small increments that blinds increase, it seems, to me at least, that their tourneys benefit the better players, especially in the later stages. On Stars, I continually find myself having to push to double up when in the second hour, and I realize that has more to do with my playing style not being able to adapt to the Stars structure rather than one being worse than the other. I know many people can accumulate chips on Stars, easily, and I am not one of them.

In the first NLHE tourney, I was crippled by someone calling my early level all-in with AQo to my KK, and hitting an ace on the flop. Who does that? Who calls an all-in with AQo in the early levels? Should I be playing kings differently? Should I not be getting all my money in pre-flop like that? I can't see any other way to play that.

Which leads me to the second NLHE tourney I played in on Sunday. Going into the second hour with a top 10 stack of chips, and then running my KK into AA, goddamn that's such a buzzkill. I prayed for a king to river that asshole, but alas, it was not to be.

It's now 11:30pm, and I'm blasted(tired, not drunk) so I need sleep.

Coming up:

PLO tourney

Canterbury: I took the day off for another reason altogether, and when that reason had to get up and go to class at noon, I drove my work-skipping ass down to Canterbury.



5 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Jestocost said...

I'm only a month into playing on Stars after about a year playing online overall, and I have to say I agree with your observations. I just can't get anything going there. If you believe the hype, Stars has the toughest games going. That HAS to be at the higher limits, however, not down in the piddling games that I'm playing. Even up to the $20 SNG level, the play I've seen has just been awful.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Congrats on knocking out wil. Guess I'll be playing in the Pokerama-rama tourney on Friday!

And... you've got an html problem. There's an italics that isn't closed somewhere.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger StB said...

I am taking a liking to the Full Tilt tournies as well. A little aggression early works wonders. Don't you just like how tight everyone seems to get after the first 40 minutes? They fold to any bet allowing you to chip us easily.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Irritable Male Syndrome said...

stb-

Yup, that's exactly what I've noticed, too. It's so much easier to chip up(for me at least) on Full Tilt.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Daddy said...

Pushing with KK in the early stages of tourneys is a must. I can't fathom any logic arguing otherwise.

Bubble-level play, and late-level play where payout increments jump dramtically between bustout levels dictate differing strategies for preflop play with KK assuming you're well endowed with chips.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home