Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

End-of-month is a slow time at my job, leaving me with too much time to do, well, absolutely nothing. So, to prepare for the impending catastrophic liver failure--as opposed to minor liver failure--that's sure to be brought on by the WPBT event looming on a very ominous looking horizon, I have updated my bloglines to include almost everyone that's attending.

I have a tough time keeping up as is, what with the previous number of feeds I'd try to read almost daily, but now with 104 feeds? In midwestern, white bread speak--forget about it. Now say that again, but enunciate and talk like your brain has been set to "sloth-like". Forget about it.

Perfect.

I can't imagine how anyone can read all that, let alone be a comment whore like Drizz. How do you do it, man? If I'm away for a weekend, I spend a few hours clearing out my bloglines, and most of the time, absorb very little of it.
I'm not so much of a commenter. Oh, it's not like I don't want to comment, or that nobody piques my interest enough that I don't feel a desire to say something. That's not it at all. I can't count the number of times I've composed a comment, hit the preview button and realize that it doesn't look as good in print as it sounded in my head, and click the "x" to scrap the whole thought. Can't have myself sounding like a retard, no sir, which is funny considering that I constantly say things that make me sound like helmet-wearing Troglodyte, but that's only because my brain's delete button is a little unreliable. Almost completely inoperable when I've been drinking.

During the bloglines update, I also noticed that my semi-recent Blogger template change completely wiped out my blogroll that you'll not see over on the right of the screen. See it? No? That's because I just told you it's not there. Sometimes, I wonder about you people. So, instead of dickin' around on Fark, or looking for hoodrat-hoodrat hoochie mamas on MySpace, I'll be doing my best Blogroll Updater impersonation. I'm not a real blogger, but I play one on TV! As much as I like having a place to write my inane gibberish, I'm not so big on the maintenance.

WPBT/poker blog ramble ahoy!

I attended the June event, but I'm going to go ahead and dub myself the anti-Maudie of the inaugural WPBT winter classic at Sam's Town--not because I'm a 30 year old guy from the upper midwest, which might qualify me for that monikor . No, that's not it. Maudie didn't really know anybody attending that event, not in the 'real-world' sense at least. But she took a chance, stepped outside of her normal comfort zone and traveled to Vegas, alone, not knowing if she had anything in common with the other attendees outside of the love of poker.

Me, I pussed out and waited for the write-ups. I was this close(yes, my thumb and forefinger are about a quarter inch apart, thanks for picking up on that), but I just couldn't do it, couldn't allow myself to stray outside of my comfort zones. I wish I had, though.

Ok, where was I? Oh yeah, the Aladdin in June.

A few weeks before that event, I did the same exact thing I'm doing now, as there were plenty of attendees that I was unfamilar with. I didn't know which April was which(not sure I do even now, for shame), had barely just started ingesting the superfluous words of Joe Speaker(is that the word I'm looking for? superfluous? It means super fluid, right?), and wouldn't know Iggy from Grubby if they were standing side-by-side.

And when I arrived in Vegas and met my first bloggers--outside of the few Minnesotans and an Eagles fan I had met--the whole scene was a little overwhelming. It's also a little surreal trying to introduce yourself as "pokeramarama", or "ramarama", and last, but certainly the most fun to say, "ramalamadingdong".

Oh how I hate you Joe Buck.

There's also someting surreal about other's introductions by their screen name(if they have one), and immediately having to sift through your mental blogroll in an attempt to attach a name to a face, and a face to a writer's voice. That, in addition to the drunken conversations, were probably the best part of the trip for me--it's so much easier to read and associate with someone when you've talked to them in real life.

This niche, the poker blogger niche, it's a little odd, don't ya think? You have the Iggy's, the Pauly's, you know, the core that, even though they sometimes don't want the responsibility, they hold the group together. And then you have the wave of bloggers that followed them, and then so on, and so on, expanding outward in concentric circles.

They've been around this arena for over two years, where I've been around for close to a year and a half, sitting firmly in the middle set of circles. After that time, and after traipsing to Vegas the last time 'round, I don't feel that I got to know many people as well as I thought I would. Or as I wanted to. Probably wholly my fault, with the only other option is that everybody else is an asshole.

You're right, my fault. That and the voice in the back of my head that was doubting whether the person I was talking to at the time actually knew who I was, or just humoring me. I tried my best to "get to know" those bloggers beforehand by reading their blogs, but I feel as if I failed in that attempt.

I don't want to fail in that now. I don't want to sit there while someone is talking to me, and in the back of my mind say, "Who are you?", or vice versa. Most of all, just like everybody reading this, I want to be able to relate.

A few questions to end this, and hopefully satiate my curiousity-

1. If you're participating in your first WPBT event, how are you feeling right about now? (looks like about 20 or so newbies, not sure any are reading this right now)

2. How did the rest of you feel before attending your first WPBT? How about after?

3. Be honest, how many of you even knew who I was before June? Ok, don't be honest. See if I care.

Jerks.



14 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger MVilla888 said...

sad you didn't link me yet....sigh

I can't wait for Vegas...haven't been there in about 10 long years, so this will be a great trip. I'll be there from the 6th on, hanging out at Caesears and the 5 diamond classic at Bellagio for the week and then catching up at the IP on Friday. See you all then.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Irritable Male Syndrome said...

That's weird, I could've sworn that I added your site when I updated all that noise this noon.

I know for a fact that I added it into bloglines.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger change100 said...

Freed from a work conflict, I finally pulled the trigger 2 days ago and counted myself in, though I haven't met a single poker blogger in person. The only thing I'm really afraid of is being able to keep up with all of these professional alcoholics without being carted away in an ambulance.

Is there a little trepidation on my part? Sure. Maudie's blog certainly helped me in my decision. But the more I thought about it, the thought of NOT going outweighed any doubts I might have had.

That said, I can't wait to meet everyone.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Joe Speaker said...

2. I was quite honestly and very literally and totally superflously pumped to go in June. I happen to be an extrovert around people who like to drink and gamble and was almost certain I'd get along well with a dozen people based on their blogs (if they were in fact genuine, which they universally turned out to be). After kinda sucked, because it was an all around great experience (Razz notwithstanding). Advice to newbies is to just be yourself and go with the flow.

3. Well, I guess I started reading you a couple months before the June event (I think there was even a comment here to that effect at the time) and I can honestly say I thought you'd suck based on your anti-AC/DC stance.

A mis-read.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Irritable Male Syndrome said...

change100-

That's the beauty of the group--you aren't forced to keep up!

That you're having a blast is what matters most to everyone. (Just don't look bored, or someone, probably everyone, will ask you to shoot Soco).

It's not so bad. =)

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Shelly said...

hey chad - i answered ya on my blog. :)

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Slayre said...

I also answered on my blog, cuz, it was long enuff to warrant an entry.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger BadBlood said...

I had the luxury of knowing a couple of people at the 1st WPBT, so I'm not able to totally relate to the trepidations of those who didn't.

I will say this, though. I knew who you were and looked forward to meeting you. This next time, I look forward to seeing you again and hopefully talking to you more.

No, I'm not gay.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger jremotigue said...

The only blogger I've met is the Commish, and that's just because we used to work together.

I'm a little nervous, but it's more of an anxious-can't-wait-to-meet-people nervousness. Not a holy-shit-what-if-nobody-likes-me nervousness.

At the very least we should meet up, have a few beers, and make fun of the worst team in the division - the Packers.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger MVilla888 said...

Feel the same way...my driinking days ended about 6 years ago when my wife announced that my first child was on the way...no more than a mild hangover since then...will make no attempt to hang with Al or Pauly in Dec...will down my share of Guinness or Gin during the weekend, but not to the point of drunken foolishness...can't wait to meet everyone and share in laying the Hammer on someone.

Thanks for the link.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've waxed sentimental so much over that firt meet-up and this "community" in general, you could stick a wick in me and light me up.

My best advice to the first timers - go with the flow and have fun. I guarantee there won't be enough time to do what you want to do or get to know everyone you want to get to know. So just come - you won't regret it!

My decision to step off the precipice last year was one of the best decisions I've made in my lifetime. It opened up a wonderful new adventrure for me and I'm having the time of life. Ok. Done waxing 8^)

See you in December !

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. If you're participating in your first WPBT event, how are you feeling right about now? (looks like about 20 or so newbies, not sure any are reading this right now)

Right about now? Just fine. the WPBT is a first for me in many ways, first WPBT, first In-Real-Life tourney, second time at Live Poker Table. Ok, that wasn't a first, but a second is close.. :)


3. Be honest, how many of you even knew who I was before June? Ok, don't be honest. See if I care.

I don't know who you are now... was reading Bill's blog. :)

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This will be the first WPBT event and the first time to Las Vegas for me. So much looking forward to both!

Will be in LV from the 6th through the 11th.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

2.

Before - I didn't know how people would react to a deaf-mute with a love from commenting on other's blogs.

After - I wished I'd spent more time meeting people instead of screaming at avatars in Pauly's suite. I'm making it a thing to meet more people this time, and kick the shit out of Speaker at Galaga


3. Geography class right?

I'm done whoring now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home