Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Last night I settled in to watch a little bit of Live at the Bike, and per usual, saw some horrendous play, even though it was a higher limit. 30/60, I think. In fact, the only time I've ever seen anything resembling solid play handful of nights I've watched, it was during the final table of the women's tournament. I'm not trying to insinuate anything--uh, like women tend to be better players than men--just stating a fact.

I subcribe to the Never Show method of card mucking. Unless I've flopped quads, hit a straight or royal flush, or Shoot The Moon, I never show my cards. Even though 99% of my opponents will never use that information against me in the future, I still don't feel comfortable letting them in on how I play. It can be nothing but detrimental for me and my bankroll.

What are these players, especially those playing at the higher limits, more than likely making a living doing so, thinking? They're giving away(well, $14.95 for the archives) information, not just for a few hands, but for every single hand played that night. Pardon my naivete, but this just doesn't seem smart. All any student of the game, someone that's committed, has to do is pay for the archives and study the opponents playing style. Less than one small bet in the 30/60 game! That's ridiculous if you ask me.

True, it's not the same stakes every night, and if you are truly a great mid-high stakes player, you should be able to mix up your game enough that anybody that's studied the archive is still be confused by your play, but I've seen one lady in particular on 3 seperate occasions, and she always played the same exact way--maniacal.

Why would someone continully sit in this game? I'm sorry, but "Internet Celebrity" is not the same thing as real celebrity. It's like buying a Golden Creme when you really want a Twinkie. It's just not the same.

3 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Chad,

Very astute observation. There is another reason never to reveal your cards (online). And that is PokerTracker.

If you or your readers don't know what revealing your cards online can mean to PokerTracker users, you should head over to my site and take a look.

Never, EVER ... show your hand.

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Playing like fools for one night, setting you up for life.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Its true, my notes on people have bitten me in the ass since I assumed they were manaics one night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home