Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Monday, April 11, 2005

Rebuttal to and Ode

This isn't so much a rebuttal as it is an explanation as to Felicia's post about bloggers that confuse her.

First off, I just want to say that I am a product of the online era. Even so, I'm not a big fan of using IM programs. And as such, e-mail is my favorite method of communication. With e-mail, I can send off something whenever I want, and the recipient can send me a response at their leisure. I don't feel like I'm intruding. Even though I may not be, I'm weird and always feel like I'm interrupting something. Hell, I'm naturally shy and don't normally approach people in real life until they approach me first.

Consider that the pixie in me.

This is another reason why I avoid using the phone if at all possible. I'd rather send a text-message, because there's nothing worse than calling someone, only to have them answer and say "Can I call you right back? I'm on the other line." This way they can get back to me whenever they damn well please.

Sure, if something is urgent, I have no problem picking up the phone. But, when issues aren't necessarily time sensitive, I'd much rather use email or text-messages.

Comments, on the other hand, are completely different. Of course I like comments. Who doesn't? Feedback is the main reason I write, and comments are always appreciated. I have a problem, though, with blogger.com's comment system, and if anybody out there has a solution for me, please, please, please let me know.

The main gripe I have with blogger comments is that they're not threaded, a la Live Journal. Let's say that somebody leaves me a comment that I'd like to respond to. On blogger, they leave their name, homepage and email address, most likely. If I want to respond, I have to leave an original response under theirs--addressing them--and hoping that they check back. Or I could also reply to them by sending a response directly to their email address.

I'm lazy and both of those are far too much work for me.

Livejournal has threaded comments, meaning that I can reply directly to their comment, and that reply will be sent directly to their email inbox. Hey-yo, we've taken out that extra step! I've had a LiveJournal for over three years, and I don't want to start another one. I started Pokeramarama so that I could write about poker without my whole LJ friend list getting annoyed, and/or thorougly bored by it.

LJ comments facilitate conversations much better than Blogger comments do. So, does anyone know of threaded comments for Blogger?

Also, how is "pixie" any better than "fairy"? Both give off the mental imagery of me in a sheer, pink, tutu, ballet slippers and cute little wings strapped to me back. I'd say they're equally queer.

Ah, would ya look at that. It's lunchtime!



3 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Felicia :) said...

I absolutely hate the phone. I never answer it. I just let it go to the machine.

I hate call-waiting, and all of that fancy foo-foo stuff that people have on their phone service.

I have lost more friends than I can tell you when they say to me, "Hold on, someone is beeping in." I don't 'hold on,' I hang up! Also, if someone says, "Can I call you back, I have another call?" I usually say, "No, if the other call is more important than mine, I guess we're not really friends," and hang up.

I wouldn't even have a phone if it weren't for emergencies.

Since I got cancer, I cannot stand that my phone is always ringing. I beg for e-mail addresses, even from doctors and hospitals, so I can contact them online, instead of talking on the phone.

As far as LJ goes, what is your site addy?

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you IM me at 2am again and if I respond, tell me to go bed immediately instead of playing in those late night tournies :P

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm kinda like you regarding the IM thing - I don't IM unles IM'd to, usually, and the more I'm IM'd to the more comfortable I get with IMing first. Kinda like how I am in person - I get accused of being stand-offish when really it's shyness...lol (BTW 'AuntieMaudie' on AIM and 'Maudi_B' on yahoo - lol) 8^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home