Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Yesterday I was playing at Doyle's Room while at work...what? It's really no big deal. It's our slow time of the month, and our internet usage isn't monitored closely. In all truth, it's monitoring is non-existant. That'll change in the next few weeks, because our one IT guy is updating our circa 1998 firewall to something a little more current. A little more secure. Until then, I'm going to play as much at work as possible, because I might not be able to at all after.

Anyhow, in the span of about 2 hours, I'd more than tripled up on a $100NL table, and I can honestly say that's one of the better runs I've ever had before at this table limit. I know that compared to other bloggers, a few hundred dollars isn't that much of a payday, but to me, $100/hr is nothing to spit at.

It wasn't even as if the cards were treating me all that well. I'd been chipping up slowly and only got involved in one fairly big hand, which I won. There was so much atrocious play that I wish I could've played there all day. Unfortunately, I broke 7/8th of the table and nobody wanted to play my reindeer games anymore. Which is funny when you think about it, because Doyle's only has three or 4 tables running at this level at any given time, so it's not like it's tough to tiptoe behind people that are leaking money from their pockets.

There is one play, though, that I've seen time and time again, and I just don't understand how anyone, fish or not, can think this is a good play.

Let's say that a everyone folds up until a player in LP, who, holding AKo raise it 4 times the big blind. His stack is about $20 deep. Everyone else folds except for the big blind, who calls. His stack is equivalent to that of the LP. The flop comes down 3-J-9, rainbow. The BB makes an undersized pot bet of about $2, and LP quickly raises to $4. The BB immediately goes over the top for his last $16, making the raise $14.

This really isn't a post about strategy, it's more about not being able to believe just how many times I've seen this in the last week, and I can't remember the last time that I've seen it at Party Poker.

Of course, the BB immediately calls with ace high, having 2 redraws to hit one of the 3 kings, because the LP is holding AJ. That's if he's lucky, and the opponent isn't holding pockets aces or kings. I'm serious when I say that I can't count the number of times that I've seen someone call off the rest of their stack holding AKo, or even AQo and even all the way down to A10o.

Or maybe it's just that I'm such a Poker Deity that I understand. Yeah, that's it.

WPBT

About 10 minutes before the start time, I got a text-message from a long-lost ex, and there's a reason that she's lost. I was in the midst of writing all of that up, when I mentioned in the AIM chatroom about it. Felicia immediately shot back, in her normal style, with "I'll trade spots with you for the next year, Chad". I didn't see her response until 10 minutes after she said it, as I was scrolling through the previous conversations, so I didn't get a chance to respond at the time, I would like to take a moment to respond to her.

Now, I know my problems are trite and virtually meaningless in comparison to what others are going to through. I know I have no leg to stand on in complaining about a psycho girl that just doesn't understand that I don't want to talk to her. Believe me, I've told her that before.

But, I will say this: No, Felicia, I don't want to trade spots with you for a year. Why? Even though I've never met you, I know you're strong, and I say, without reservation, that I'm a pansy. You'll make it through all this, and I honestly can't say that I would. I think that many people would agree with me.

I know you were just busting my balls because I was complaining about something that really doesn't mean a damn in the grand scheme of things, but I just had to respond.

As far as the tournament goes, my head wasn't in it, and I bled chips by firing at missed flops, only to be called by bottom pair. And I think that, one time, I caught CJ skimming off the top of my chip stack. I can't comfirm it, but I looked away for one second, and when I looked back, he had 300 more chips and I had 300 less. I also found it odd that right after I noticed this, he was whistling and suspiciously avoiding eye contact with me. Perhaps it was a bit much to wink and blow kisses at him when I first sat down, but I won't know if my suspiscions were correct until I go to the surveillance video. We'll see.

I ended up somewhere in the pitiful realm of the 80's, once again disgracing the Great, yet cold, state of Minnesota. When are we going to break through, eh,Chris? Eh, Drizz?

3 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Felicia :) said...

LOL, yeah, I was just busting your balls. Heck, sometimes I'd choose cancer over relationship trouble anyday.

Especially NUT cancer, hahahaha!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger StudioGlyphic said...

Heh. That CJ's such a sneak.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I took 2nd at Grubby's tourney. I think I just need to avoid the bad beats and I'm sure I'll win one WPBT event... by 2039.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home