Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Who am I? Good question, and one that I've asked myself repeatedly. This really isn't a post on introspection, nor will it have much poker content in it. Hopefully, though, it will help you put a name to to a face, or as it is, a face to my writing voice, whatever that may be.

Through someone's blog, you get to know them in a myriad of different ways. Some are fairly anonymous, while other's a fairly open as to who they are. With the passing of the WPBT, I've gotten a look into some of my favorite blog author's lives, and in possibly more detail than I ever wanted to know about. Even if most of what I've read are just vignettes-jigsaw puzzle pieces-of that person as a whole.

I, personally, don't like being anonymous. When I sit on Party, I get the obligatory "Hey Rama", or some other, canned greeting. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate being noticed and acknowledged, even if the only reason you're doing so is because your PT notes have me listed as a big ol', bottom-sucking koi. Hey, I'll admit that I like attention.

I am not this blog, though. It isn't who I really am. With some, like Al, I feel what you see and read is exactly what you'll get in real life. I get the feeling that there is no let down, and he's every bit larger-than-life as he portrays in his blog. Others, like Iggy, revel in the pseudonymity. He's a caricture of that real person, mainly because he chooses to keep his anonymity. That's cool, I can respect that.

I don't like being anonymous. For the most part, I'm a fairly private person, but through my blog, I'd like people that read it to get a feeling for "me". That sounds weird, I know. I suppose I'll just cut through the tripe and get to work.

Ahem.

Hi, I'm Chad. I'm 29, single, very much by choice, and very much to the chagrin of my mother. I'm also childless, another fact that I'm reminded of each time I see my mother, and God help her grandchild's therapist if the day ever comes that I have a kid.

I've only been in love once in my life, and subsequently have had my heart-broken only once, leaving me, of all things, with an aversion to the name Emily. This explains most of why I am the way I am.

I love to travel, but have crossed only a few of "must-visits" off my list, including Ireland and Key West for Fantasy Fest. I went to Ireland with a girl named Emily, and oddly enough, I decided to attach my disdain, not to the country or the girl, but to the name. The country doesn't deserve it, but the girl probably does.

I don't need to make a lot of money, or be famous, but I do want to see as much of the world as possible before it's gone. That's my only lifetime "goal".

I love to read, but am admittedly a slow reader due to being distracted easily, which is why I prefer audio books. Yes, I'm lazy like that. I love to write, but sometimes find it hard to find the motivation, and am currently looking into ways locate it, because I'm nowhere near the writer I'd like to be. Not even close. One thing I've got going for me is that I'm honest. Which is nice. Ultimately, I'd like be one of those people that you read, and everything sounds so effortless, like they just pounded out whatever they're writing in a few minutes. Oh, and to learn how to punctuate. That too.

First impressions? If I'm priveleged enough to ever meet any other bloggers, I can guarantee two questions they will ask. I might as well clear up these common misconceptions right now.

One:
"How old are you?" 29. Believe me.

This isn't so bad, and looking younger than I actually am isn't all that bad. The second misconception is a little more disconcerting.


Two:
"Are you gay?"

I don't look or act gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't think I exude gayness. Sure, it doesn't help that I live in the neighborhood in Minneapolis with the highest concentration of gay men, or that I live above a very, very gay salon, but my location shouldn't determine my sexual orientation. It's gotten bad enough where I expect being asked that question. Come on, I don't even know what the colors mauve, taupe, or sage look like! I don't own a bichon frise! Those belong to my landlord.

Who else am I? I mean, besides assumed gay, of course.

Well, I'm a guy that likes to drink watery beer-a lot-I like football, American football, golf, and of course poker. I have tattoos and peircings, which according to some guy, that makes me dead-money. I could go on with this forever, but I'll just end it in such a way that you can really put a face with my pseudonym. If you're ever playing at Party with me, feel free to call me "Chad". In fact, I like it better that way.









My shirt says "I love to play Pac-Man". I guess I liked to lie when I was 6. Thanks to everyone who's come by and commented here. It's very much appreciated!

Have a happy and safe New Year!

Look at me, I'm Phil Hellmuth!




5 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Ignatious said...

interesting post. it's funny, because the folks who are most open in their blogs, bg, for example, are the blogs i tend to enjoy the most. i used to have a strange fascination with all the "diary" sites back in like 97 or 98. the more honest, the more i enjoyed them. yet, my own blog is quite the opposite, methinks.

that was the only downside of attending the wpbt. stepping out from behind the curtain.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Pauly said...

Nice... hope to see you at the next event Chad!

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Felicia :) said...

Great post. Yeah, I'm one of the more candid bloggers, I guess, and I'm glad to see you are, too. The anonymous ones baffle me. The longer I know them, the more baffled I am (like Iggy and BG).

Dude, you look older than 29, for real. Not that it's a bad thing, but either you just don't take "young" pics, or you really look older.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger John-Paul said...

Nice post Chad, but watery-beer? Eck... Give me a Guinness, Boddington's or NewCastle any day over any of the lite beers out there... Also, its been fun playing with you on the NL tables. I'm sure we'll be running into each other again in the future. Have a good New Years.

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No more "rama" - Chad it is, Chad.

Happy New Year and see you at the tables.

- Jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home