Pokerama-rama! Now with more beer!

Beer, brewing and poker, with possibly some inane drivel on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Just a quick thought for today. Out of all the people that call themselves "poker players", what percentage would you say are like us? I guess I'll explain a little better. When I say "us", I mean people that eat, drink and breathe poker in all it's forms. People that consume poker, whether that be writing about it, reading 2+2, or just thinking about it constantly. Be honest, now. Y'all are flippin' crazy over the game.

On a nightly basis, there are 55,000 people on Party. We all know the abundance of fish, but how many would you say are real "students of the game"? I've got to wonder how many players even know that 2+2 exists. I sure didn't when I started.

I ask because many of my friends play poker, but I can't think of nary a one that gets any knowledge of the game outside of watching it on tv. And that's sad, really. On the other hand, it does bode well for the small percentage that do take the time to improve, though. Those that buy PokerTracker or some other stats software to keep track of their game. Those that can't get enough information.

Every now and then, a friend will sit behind me while I'm playing online, and they think I'm crazy for laying down my pocket 6's when it's been raised three times before it gets to me. Or, that I'd ever lay down a gutshot straight draw to someone making a bet that's half my stack.

When did poker make that turn from something you saw on tv and looked like a fun thing to try, to something that consumes you?

2 Comments:

At 3:34 AM, Blogger PokerProf said...

I'd venture a guess of something less then 1 / 100th of a percent, like 1 in 10,000. Most people play for fun, and a way to spend time, a few play for more then fun, but of those I doubt many really take it seriously enough. A lot of people seem to think wathing ESPN and WPT is enough, some add a couple of strategy books, a few of thoes hit forums and RPG, a few of those read blogs, a few of those write blogs... I think the number of real students is pretty small and almost all of them are 2+2'ers / RPG'ers / bloggers.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Blu said...

I love the fact that most fish online only play based off of what they see on TV. It tests your nerve with some of the bad beats that you'll get, but overall its great play for the serious poker student. I can't get enough information! I like to call it my healthy addiction - lol :)

On a side note, I enjoy reading your blog and have added you as a link off of mine. If it is a problem, please let me know.

Blu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home